Today, the industry is undergoing significant changes, especially its dependence on rapid technological developments. With the challenges and changing circumstances of the industry, higher education needs to be adaptive. Universitas Indonesia will take on the role of the leading university in responding to the above challenges with its various advantages, such as the oldest university in Indonesia, located in the capital, has alumni who occupy many key positions in government, has a large green campus, and has graduates who have high competitiveness. As part of the Universitas Indonesia, the Master’s Program in Mathematics will take the same role as the Universitas Indonesia. Moreover, Mathematics has become one of the main supporting areas of the 4.0 industrial revolution, especially related to data management technology, such as big data analysis and data science. Data analysts and data scientists are the most growing job demand in the industry based on the 2020 future of jobs survey by the world economic forum.
The Master’s Program in Mathematics is under the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Universitas Indonesia. This program is organized based on the Decree of the Chancellor of the Universitas Indonesia no. 706/SK/R/UI/2007, dated October 22, 2007. The Mathematics Master’s Program has been accredited B by the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education based on Decree no. 168/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/M/I/2018, dated January 3, 2018.
The Master’s Program in Mathematics has 17 teaching staff with doctoral education (S3), with two of them being professors. The teaching staff’s areas of expertise range from theoretical mathematics, mathematical modeling and applications, data science, and actuarial science.
Make the Master’s Program in Mathematics at Universitas Indonesia a leading institution in mathematics, data science, and interdisciplinary applied fields of life sciences, industry, and government through research capable of playing a role at national and global levels to advance science and sustainable development.
- Produce graduates who can follow the development of mathematics, data science, and its applications
- Support and develop interdisciplinary mathematical, data science, and applied research activities in the life sciences, industry, and government fields
- Provide information services, consulting, and solutions in mathematics and data science as well as its application in interdisciplinary fields that can improve people’s welfare and assist the development of industry and government.
- Have reliable understanding skills in the fields of mathematics and data science to solve theoretical and applied problems
- Have good ethics in the profession supported by logical, critical, innovative analytical power and the ability to learn independently and adapt to the development of science and technology in mathematics, data science, and its applications.
- Have the ability to be an early researcher in the fields of mathematics, data science, and its applications
- Have professional career skills through applying and developing mathematical models, data science, and their applications to solve interdisciplinary science, technology, and applied problems through research in life science, industry and government.
There are two study paths in the Master’s Program in Mathematics at Universitas Indonesia, namely:
- Course Path
- Research Path
In general, the difference between the two pathways is in the structure and content of the curriculum. The Course Path combines lecture and research activities. Meanwhile, the Research Path only emphasizes research activities, so it is prioritized for prospective students who already have a research background and scientific publications.
To complete the Master’s Program in Mathematics at Universitas Indonesia, students must pass with a minimum of 36 credits in a span of two semesters to six semesters.
Graduate Learning Outcomes
Field of Interest
There are three fields of interest in the Master of Mathematics Study Program at Universitas Indonesia, namely :
- Mathematics Theory
- Data Science
- Modeling and Applied.
Course Path – Course Distribution
Research Path – Course Distribution
Course Path – Mandatory Courses
Course Path – Elective Courses
The Profile Video of the master progran of Mathematics – Universitas Indonesia